Hi, welcome to my humble abode!
Want help? See my FAQ. Please do so before sending me email.
Who is this guy?
I love making software and helping companies improve! Most recently worked as Minecraft gameplay designer & developer & coach at Mojang. Before that, spent a bunch of years coaching Spotify, Lego, and other fun companies. Was CTO at a few companies before I got into coaching. Wrote a few books on agile/lean stuff, and a bunch of articles such as this one with the silly skateboard metaphor. Accidentally co-created something people call the Spotify Model. Made a bunch of videos, such as Agile Ownership in a Nutshell. Done some work with climate change: co-founded GoClimate.org and made a video about climate change (important! watch it!). Co-founded OperationalExcellence.com together with my buddy Niklas Modig.
I live near Stockholm with my wife & four kids. Like to learn, create, and Jam 🙂
- Scrum and XP from the Trenches
- Kanban and Scrum – making the most of both
- Lean from the Trenches – managing large scale projects with kanban
- Spotify Engineering Culture – the origin of the so-called Spotify Model
- Agile Product Ownership in a Nutshell – short visual summary of agile
- Friendly Guide to Climate Change – short summary of climate change and what you can do about it
- The Resource Utilization Trap – a silly and fun live demo of the pull principle in lean
- Testing Minecraft with Minecraft – how we do test automation in Minecraft, using Minecraft…
- Multitasking vs one piece flow – a silly and fun live demo of why multitasking generally sucks
Here are some of my most popular keynotes. The other 30+ keynotes are available here.
- How to make awesome products – Mind the Product, London
- Confessions of a Change Agent – Agile Turkey, Istanbul
- Agile, where are we at? – USI, Paris (see also my blog post)
- Focus (Stop Starting and Start Finishing) – Agile By Example, Warsaw
- Making sense of MVP (and why I prefer earliest testable/usable/lovable) – the origin of the skateboard vs car metaphor.
- Scrum Checklist – unofficial, but so popular that it is kind of the official unofficial checklist
- How we got rid of time reports – a story of waste elimination
- Cause-effect diagrams – a pragmatic way of doing root-cause analysis
- Scaling Agile @ Spotify with Tribes, Squads, Chapters & Guilds – this article, followed by the culture video, is the origin of the so-called Spotify Model
- Agile version control with multiple teams – old article (pre git), but still relevant and popular
- This week in video games – we talked about Minecraft development, leadership, visual thinking, remote work, and other topics.
- The spawn chunks “The hills are alive with Henrik Kniberg” – we talked about the new terrain generation in Minecraft among other things.
- Visual thinking podcast (also on Spotify & Apple)
- … will probably add more links here…
Some more links and fun facts (and shameless self-promotion…)
- I was featured in the film Squads, about 45 minute documentary about how the Spotify model became a thing, and why it has become so popular.
- When I was on the Agile Alliance board of directors I initiated and organized a worldwide community effort to get the Agile Manifesto translated to 67 languages 🙂
- I’m a Certified Scrum Trainer. In addition to my own courses, I’ve also co-taught Scrum certification courses together with Jeff Sutherland (co-creator of Scrum) on a regular basis for over 10 years. I’ve also worked for a long time with Mary Poppendieck, Alistair Cockburn, Niklas Modig, and other Agile/Lean thought leaders. I’ve learned so much from them!
- I’m a Certified Scaled Agile Framework Program Consultant (SPC) and a Certified LeSS practitioner. I also helped develop Jeff Sutherland’s Scrum@Scale framework. But I mostly don’t use scaling frameworks, and instead just take the best bits of them when needed.
- I was rated #2 best developer in Sweden by Computer Sweden in 2015. And rated #3 in 2012. Been on the top-20 list every time since 2008. Although admittedly that rating system was more a popularity contest….