Concepts is a one page specification, in A3 format that represents a product idea of feature. It is enough to enable a prepared conversation with engineers developing the product. Think of it as a “flexible minimum specification”.
Concepts enables people passionate about a product idea, regardless of role, to realize it all the way to happy client.
There is no handover.
Concepts helps you
- Treating post release challenges as part of normal design
- Decrease friction between business and development by setting clear expectations of what should be prepared before entering into conversations with development teams
- Develop a minimum specification, flexible for your context
- Increasing the value added time of your development team by training business people to arrived prepared with the right questions
- Increase learning by completing the feedback loop all the way to customer use
- Sharing the work load of a product owner onto a team
- Lower waste:
– preventing ideas with unclear value (hidden in big requirement documents) to enter solution design,
– less rework after release “bugs development should have foreseen”
– avoiding heavy documentation in early stages of product development when uncertainty is as its greatest
Companies have used concepts to:
- Keep a single thread all the way through to working at client
- Help product owners spend more time with real users
- Solve product owner overload scenarios
- Remove handovers
Here are some Concept section examples