As a product team, you live and breathe your product. One of the hardest questions is: “Will the stuff we are working on right now be successful?”
During this training, consisting of two full-day sessions, we will give you techniques, insights, principles, and a framework that you can use to sleep better at night.
After the training, you will have more structure in how you run Product Discovery initiatives, ensuring that you’re creating something that customers love, makes money, and is feasible to build.
First off, what is Product Discovery?
For simplicity’s sake, in product development, you have two engines running at the same time: Discovery & Delivery.
Discovery is about building the right product
Delivery is about building the product right
This training focuses on Discovery, the steps that you take with your team to discover what’s right for your customers, your business, and the best way to build it.
Examples of questions we’ll help answer:
- How do we identify our next best development opportunity?
- What’s the best way to discover what customers really want?
- What’s the ideal duration for a Discovery phase?
- How can we maximize our team’s success?
- How can we minimize biases in Discovery?
- How do we find the right problem and solution?
- How do we ensure the Discovery is worthwhile?
- What are best practices for Discovery under tight deadlines?
- What are the key questions to ask in Discovery?
- What are the do’s and don’ts in Discovery?
Who’s the course for?
The course is primarily tailored to product owners or product managers who create tech products. However, if you’ve another role in a product team, you will receive value as well. The training is especially useful if you haven’t done that much structured Product Discovery in the past. You have heard the term, read some articles, and you are curious to get started.
What will I learn?
The outcome of the training is that you will have applied concepts and techniques to start running structured Product Discovery in your team or organization.
Below are just some of the topics that we will explore:
- Tackling product risks up-front and continuously working with product risks in your Discovery
- Identifying user needs through user interviews
- Applying techniques to distill and structure your insights
- Assessing what to prototype first (Minimum Viable Prototype)
- Brainstorming how you will “delight” customers and end-users and build hard-to-copy advantage
- Leveraging risk testing and validation methods
Inspiring, very hands-on and well spent money! Demystified the term “Discovery” and made it understandable for me. It is not about one big bang thing to do, but many small things in your everyday work. Most valuable – I came out with a feeling that I finally knew how to start this thing with my team!
Jenny Halleni, Swedbank
Holistic Product Discovery gave me the tools to more practically address all major risks in product development and thus deliver customer value more quickly. It is an engaging course that mixes theory with casework, which makes it easy to learn. Many good discussions and real-world examples from Marcus and Martin. Recommended!
Andreas, Product Manager
At first the course felt like a long-awaited slap in the face, and now I finally know what we have to do differently.
We have long understood that our way of working with product discovery is rather flawed, but have had difficulty understanding how to get out of there. After three days on the course, we had a long list of concrete things that we could change to take small steps in the right direction.
A month later, we have managed to go from a roadmap that describes which features we will release in the coming quarters, to talking about which problems we will solve. We also have regular user interviews scheduled and are about to start a new sprint that includes several different development teams to solve a common problem (usually each team has its own sprints).
Linn Treutiger, Product Manager at TimeEdit
The Holistic Product Discovery book
Every participant will also receive a free copy of Martin’s and Marcus’ book about Product Discovery.
”Product discovery — figuring out what customers want and value — is hard. ’Holistic Product Discovery’ is a straightforward guide on how to avoid common traps as you build products. The book provides clear frameworks, examples, and case studies that will help you to build products that delight customers. If you want to level up your Product Discovery approach, this is the book for you.”
– Gibson Biddle, Former VP Product Netflix