How do we rediscover the original inspiration of the Agile Manifesto and, in a very real sense return Agile to the wild?
Agile started off as an inspirational set of statements and values that inspired a generation of software design. But slowly and steadily, that original inspiration has become a set of structured methods, certificates for turning up at a course, and a series of method wars which have most recently degenerated to court action.
Is it time to move away from the large-scale expensive frameworks into a multi-methods, multi-tools ecosystem and to create a new professional practice? In the current crisis agility is not enough …
We will explore these current topics in the Master Class series consisting of 4 classes during May and June. Each class is held on two consecutive days bi-weekly.
Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. Times: 14:00 – 18:00 CET (with a 30 min break) (All sessions are remote using Zoom)
- Masterclass 1: Cynefin & Agile – May 19th & 20th
- Masterclass 2: Pre- and Post-Scrum techniques – June 2nd & 3rd
- Masterclass 3: Scaling with Cynefin – June 16th & 17th
- Masterclass 4: Architecture and Scaffolding – June 30th & July 1st
Masterclass 1: Cynefin & Agile – May 19th & 20th (14:00 – 18:00 CET)
An introduction to the Masterclass series, including a Cynefin update and refresher, building the big picture of how Cynefin methods and the Agile assembly fit and work together.
- An introduction to the latest version of Cynefin, including the dynamic movements between domains and the potentiality of the liminal zones at the domain boundaries
- How does Cynefin apply to Agile? Explore the history of Cynefin and AGILE, and locate the various aspects of Agile within the Cynefin framework
- Contextualizing Agile, Waterfall, Scrum, and other approaches within the Cynefin framework – and applying appropriate methods as needed.
- AGILE and Cynefin in context – integrating Pre-scrum and Post-scrum techniques into an integrated assembly
- Big picture – contextualize Scaling, Scaffolding, and Architecture within the complex paradigm, exploring the implementation.
Masterclass 2: Pre- and Post-Scrum techniques – June 2nd & 3rd (14:00 – 18:00 CET)
A practical introduction to some of the latest Cynefin® collaboration methods to enable exploration in the complex domain, prior to the linear iteration of a typical Scrum process around a core concept.
- The original spirit of Agile and how these applications are coherent with it
- Pre-scrum techniques: enriching the inputs into the Scrum process through a set of complex techniques:
- Unarticulated user needs journaling: an alternative to enrich user stories, by enabling continuous mapping of user experiences in dynamic, rich, and interactive ways
- Trios: beyond pair-programming, specifically constructed diverse trios offer a powerful integration of fast prototyping, systems architecture, and user insights
- Triple 8: rapid development cycles that utilize trios working in an asynchronous 24-hour cycle facilitate the emergence and rapid development within complex parameters.
Masterclass 3: Scaling with Cynefin – June 16th & 17th (14:00 – 18:00 CET)
Scaling AGILE and complex methods presents a complex challenge in itself. In a complex system, scaling works through decomposition and recombination, not aggregation, demanding a different approach. In this masterclass, we will explore
- How organizations can scale agility in ways congruent with complexity: explore the opportunities and limitations of taking Agile methods and principles beyond software development
- Explore complexity-based approaches to scaling… decomposition and recombination and processes to establish the optimal level of coherence for scalability.
- Rewilding and rebalancing – scaling within an organization or system by building an infrastructure, including both formal and informal networks and aspects of knowledge flow
- A vector theory of change for scaling: moving from a focus on individual employee mindset and trying to change one person at a time, to changing the environment and creating the conditions for emergence
Masterclass 4: Architecture and Scaffolding – June 30th & July 1st (14:00 – 18:00 CET)
“People are objects too” – and yet, all too often the people element is forgotten when designing and executing the architecting process. Software is a part of and dependant on overall organizational architecture, and this module takes a deeper look into designing for humans as they are, building the architecture to enable high performance.
- Scaffolding: defining interactions and shaping connectors rather than attempting to dictate or structure roles.
- Typology of scaffolding – different ways to structure and scaffold processes and systems, endoskeletons and exoskeletons
- Identifying the level of uncertainty involved and choosing an appropriate scaffolding approach; and fractal scaffolding in multi-dimensional systems
- Shaping optimal granularity and communication protocols to ensure appropriate information and communication flows
- Future of software architecture – approaches to architecture and scaffolding that are truly complex and emergent
Who Should Attend?
This training is for Agile practitioners, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, Product Managers, Agile coaches, project managers, people managers, architects, designers, developers, and anyone else that works in constantly evolving and dynamic situations.
Knowledge of Cynefin – we will make a small pack of videos available in advance of the training.