How do you build an organisation that enables agile at scale and unleashes the power of small autonomous teams? After this two-day training you will have plenty of examples and inspiration from how Spotify grew a dynamic learning organisation that continually reinforces a high-trust culture and supports engaged autonomous teams.
“The Spotify Model” of agile at scale has been getting a surprising amount of attention in the agile community since it was first shared widely in 2012. The Spotify Engineering Culture videos have more than 500 000 views. It was never intended as a framework or a model, it was just a case study of the Spotify way of working at the time. That has not stopped a large number of organizations from copying or imitating the model, often without understanding what it was optimized for, what challenges it comes with or how Spotify has adapted and continued to evolve in the five years since.
During this training you will gain a deep and wide knowledge of how Spotify works under the hood. With this deeper understanding you will be able to see more options on how to improve your organisational design with regards to your context and boundaries. You will learn why Spotify made the decisions they made, what other options were considered, which changes were intentional and which ones were emergent, and so on.
We will explore the underlying principles as well as go into specific practices and mechanisms. You will learn how Spotify combines small autonomous teams with strategic business alignment. How Spotify works with leadership and growing leaders. How they work with innovation. Which values and beliefs shape their culture. And much much more.
Jimmy Janlén and Joakim Sundén, the teachers of the course, both have long experience from working at Spotify and have been involved in developing several of the concepts of “the Spotify Model”.
Example topics covered in the course:
- The history of Spotify
- How to build great autonomous teams (a.k.a. Squads)
- Organisational structure to support the squads (Chapters, Tribes and Guilds)
- The Spotify Rhythm & OKRs (Cross team, strategic business alignment and prioritization)
- Team and Tribe leadership
- Roles and responsibilities
- Competence and development frameworks
- Culture, principles and values
- How Scrum, Kanban and XP fits into the Spotify culture
- Think It, Build It, Ship It, Tweak It – The Spotify Product Development Framework
- Sharing and spreading knowledge
- Transparency and communication
- Challenges, lessons learned and failed experiments
The goal of this course is to provide tangible examples of how to create a great place to work that enables agile at scale. Participants will leave inspired with ideas on how to redesign their organization to better engage employees and leverage the power of autonomous teams.
This course is for…
- Progressive leaders and managers
- Agile Coaches, Scrum Masters, Product Managers, Project Managers and Agile Practitioners
- Organisational change agents, consultants and HR
Basic knowledge in Agile principles and practices, e.g., experience with Scrum, will help you better understand some of the content.